Photo by Jo N. Miles


 Stone's Source - Part #III   /52

 

 

 

Rather than glorify this or any day

I would rather glorify the moment,

the unfailing moment which surpasses

us and which asks for no glory.

 

I do not choose to glorify the

words which make up the stories

told in hope and promise. Rather

I choose to glorify the simplest

stories, which end as through man

did not tell them and which end

as though there is no ending.

 

It is not enough that the glorification

of the spirit must find form,

or that the meddling of gods

seeks shelter within the breast

of people. It is not fitting that

their heart finds glory in

worshipping those gods, or that the

very blood flows in the river at the

alter of worship. It passes in the

night, as the glory of those gods

is hollow, that they speak in the

acid tongues of the leaves of grass

or the rustling of ripe rice,

or in the steady sway of bamboo.

 

And because words are ultimately

not understandable, I do not choose

to glorify their sounds though, without

me they will glorify themselves.

I do not choose to glorify the single-

statements across all the headlines of

history, written on walls, or parchment.

And if I choose, they disappear, but

when they are ignored, they grow,

they multiply, they encompass,

they compress.

 

And where the glory of those

single words, in groups, reside they

build cities, just as does man, in

systems of pattern and pre-pattern.

The structure is if, as by gods

who climb for man, who speak for

man, who glorify man. But like cities

built on hills which disappear, they

return. From that knowledge can only

wonder why the edges fray, why the

folds show wear, why the sheen of use

is not fitting in the halls of waste.

 

But glory is not visible; not the colors

which expose more to the eyes

than the shapes of change, not the

first spoken rudiments of doubt,

not the hero of worlds not known,

not a post script. In truth, glory

is simply a name

of anyone willing to take it

and wear it

like their own, as we all do.

 

I do not choose to glorify that

person, or the simple answers which

names bestow, or the lives which 

encompass the art of meditation. It

is they who rather glorify us, such

as we are, such as is time, such as is such.

 

I do not choose to give or take from

that glory which from prayer our most

desperate parts succumb. I do not glorify

the lonesome moment, I do not choose to

glorify separations, I do not choose

 

to glorify that which brings separation

together, or that which reminds it of

its duty, or that which in the minds of

man and woman reminds it of itself,

like all good thoughts, like dust.

 

I will not here glorify any of the

sexes or their tired dangling which

in age, waxes and under a moon of

attractions call and which without

glory can not exist. I do not choose to define

the flesh from which glory grows as it

tastes of me and mine, as it ignores

that which is offered and pleads for that

which, in effigy, burns. I cannot here

hope to sculpt that edge, I can not

here write the lines of that face against

black sky, I can not here construct

tyranny without spit and sinew.

 

I seek that which I can glorify and

I find again that it is not an option

for which we all escape. It is not a

vow in the myth of union or reunion,

it is not a celebration within destiny,

It does not create, or procreate,

or die. For glory, I seek that which

glows, after the arc of day completes

it phase and we can rest without

shape, forgiven.

 

 55

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog